Yuletide Terrors

December 18, 2012
hello world!

iStock_17Decorations and decorative plants during the holiday season can bring cheer to the family, but may also make for a less than festive trip to the vet’s office.

Decorations are hazards!

Many pet owners are unaware of the dangers of the holiday season when it comes to their furry family members. Some of the more obvious dangers include eating small decorations, chewing through electrical light cords and the ever popular “cat smushed by tree.” These can be avoided by simple precautions such as keeping all risky objects up off of the floor and out of reach and making sure you have a sturdy tree stand.

It is always a good idea to keep rooms that contain these type of materials off limits to pets when they are not being watched and making sure everyone in the household (even holiday guests) are aware of these dangers.

Aside from festive objects and materials there are also a number of decorative plants that are highly toxic when ingested by Rex or Fluffy.

Toxic Holiday Plants

Some of these include POINSETTIAS, HOLLY and CHRISTMAS CACTUS, which can cause many symptoms including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive salivation and changes in behavior.

**BEWARE OF MISTLETOE!!!! While it may get you an unexpected smooch or two, it can easily injure or kill your pet. It can cause vomiting, severe diarrhea, difficulty breathing, shock and even death within hours of ingestion. You can avoid these dangers by keeping plants out of pets reach and being diligent about making sure they do not come into contact. If you choose to have these plants in your home, be very aware of missing leaves and berries and keep a close eye on your pet’s behavior.


Remember that your pets do not have the common sense enough to avoid all the dangers on their own. Be safe, keep your animals safe and have a happy holiday season!

Happy Holidays to all of our wonderful clients and friends! Wishing you all the best for the New Year!

From all of us at Groveway Veterinary Hospital!