Toxicity Part 1: Signs of Toxicity in Pets

September 8, 2015
hello world!

Many of us know the horror of coming home to finding something wrong with our four-legged friend.

Unbeknownst to us, our pet had gotten into something they shouldn’t have. So many man-made products around the house, plants, and items can cause toxicity in dogs and cats.

What does that really mean?

Toxicity. It is basically “the degree to which a substance (toxin or poison) can harm humans or animals”. There are short and long-term toxicities.

It’s important to be aware of the symptoms associated with toxicity. If you believe your pet has gotten into something that might be toxic for them, immediately call your local veterinarian or emergency center. Let them know what you think your pet might have gotten into. If they are displaying any unusual symptoms. Time matters.

Common symptoms include:

  • Lethargy (lack of energy)
  • Excessive salivation (drooling)
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Cold extremities
  • Rapid breathing
  • Lack of appetite
There are so many things which can be the cause of this that it is simply mindboggling.

The list of toxic foods is long and requires a whole other blog! So click here to read our list of foods that are poisonous for our pets.

Man-made things like antifreeze, or fluoride (found in human toothpaste) cause toxic reactions in pets. Natural plants like tomato and Bird of Paradise are toxic too. It’s good to be aware of the dangers in and around your home. Take the necessary precautions to keep your pet away from them.

Household chemicals and products should be safely stored in childproof cabins, because, let’s face it, they are our furry kids! Keep potted plants containing fertilizers away from puppy’s or kitten’s curious paws. Be proactive in protecting your pets!

If you are concerned that your pet has ingested something they shouldn't have, contact your veterinarian immediately. Alternatively, call the Animal Poison Control Center 24 hour emergency veterinary poison hotline on: 888-426-4435.
Written by Beth Chapman, Veterinary Assistant at Pinole Pet Hospital