October is the month of one of our favorite holidays, Halloween! With this comes lots and lots of candy and chocolate. Believe it or not, we’re not the only ones excited about it! If you have pets in the house, those noses can sniff out sweets a mile away! It is very important during this candy season to make sure it is kept out of reach from the four-legged children you have in the house. While it may begood to us, there are serious risks if pets get into those goodie bags. The side effects of chocolate toxicity include stomach upset, seizures, and possibly death if not treated right away. So if you do plan on keeping sweets in the house, make sure to take all precautions to make sure everyone (even the furry ones) have a good Halloween!
Common Dangerous Foods in the House
There are many times where we get the urge to feed our pets people food. It’s hard to resist those cute little puppy eyes and those sweet little faces! Even though it may be hard, there are many foods thatcan be harmful to your pets that you may be unaware of. Some common foods include apple seeds, apricot pits, avocados, coffee, garlic, grapes, gum, mushroom plants, onions and onion powder, peach pits, raisins, salt, walnuts, and many, many more. Some symptoms of toxicity include extreme lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and possibly death. If your pet does get into any of these items, please contact your local veterinarian or emergency hospital as soon as possible. For a full list of common dangerous foods you can visit humansociety.org or simply do a search on Google. The kitchen is a fun place for pets, but let’s try our best to keep it a safe one!
As we know there are many household items we use to keep the house clean, unclog pipes, and keep our lawns looking nice. Just like they are toxic to us, they are extremely toxic to your pets. You should take the same precautions you would to keep children in the house safe that you would for your pets. Ensuring all dangerous items are kept out of reach and out of sniff for our furry friends. Some common items are antifreeze, lawn and garden items, traps and poisons (rodent and insect), garbage, and many more. Some symptoms of toxicity include extreme lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and possibly death. If your pet does get into any of these items, please contact your local veterinarian or emergency hospital as soon as possible.
Our goal is to keep your pets safe and happy to the best of our abilities. For quick reference articles written by veterinarians and approved by us, please visit our client page at: vetncare.com/pet-health-articles
By Chelsi Bias, Clinical Assistant at Groveway Veterinary Hospital